2 small chicken breasts with skin on
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp ginger, thinly sliced
2 small shallots
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole star anise pods
6 cloves garlic
3 tbsp Yeo’s Dark Soy Sauce
1/3 cup palm sugar
½ tsp salt
- Rub the chicken breasts with the rice wine vinegar and hold until required.
- Heat oil in a small deep sided saucepan and add the sliced ginger and shallots. Stir-fry until lightly browned, and then add the palm sugar, cinnamon, star anise and cloves.
- When the sugar caramelizes, add the chicken breasts and brown on all sides. Add the dark soy, salt and enough water to cover half the chicken.
- Remove from heat then simmer uncovered in a 180°C oven for 20 minutes, turning often. Add a little water if the sauce reduces too quickly.
- Remove the chicken when cooked and slice each breast into 4 pieces. Skim away all the fat from the surface of the sauce. Serve the sliced chicken with steaming hot rice and bowl of the strained sauce.
Search by keyword,
product or ingredient